Wednesday, April 13, 2011

American Civil War Genealogy Blog Challenge

I am a day late at posting this, but better late than never. Right?

Bill West, of the West in New England, provided a blogging prompt entitled the American Civil War Genealogy Blog Challenge Here is a little bit about my Civil War ancestors.

I actually have two direct ancestors that fought during the Civil War. Through them, I was able to gain membership as a Daughter of Union Veterans of the Civil War,1861-1865.

My 3rd great-grandfather, George Andrew Holcomb, of Panton, Vermont was a Private in company B of the 11th Vermont Infantry. His enlistment date was 17 Jul 1862 and he was mustered out on 24 Jun 1865.

My 2nd great-grandfather, Edward Balaw (Bailaw, Beland), of Peacham, Vermont was a Private in Company L of the 9th Vermont Infantry. His enlistment date was 09 Jun 1862 and he was discharged on 13 Jul 1965.

Edward's brothers, Simeon, Alexander, Joseph and William, also fought during the Civil War. Joseph was wounded at Petersburg, Virginia on 25 Mar 1865 and died on 04 Apr 1865. He buried in the Arlington National Cemetery.

No comments :