Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fearless Females: A Favorite Female Ancestor

This month is National Women’s History Month, and in celebration Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog has created a list of 31 blogging prompts entitled "Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts". While I can not promise to come here every day to participate in this, I will try to complete as many of the prompts as I have time for.

The first blogging prompt is:

Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.


I have been drawn toward learning more about my great-grandmother, Marie Eva Bonneau (aka Eva Burnham). She has remained a woman of mystery to me since I began researching my genealogy almost ten years ago. I have recently connected with a distant cousin who is also tracing one of the lines linked to my great-grandmother, and she has been so helpful in helping me locate a few more puzzle pieces.

I know Eva was born in Sutton, Quebec in 1898 to Abraham Bonneau and Esther Metevier. She married three times; first to Carl Kennison (my great-grandfather), then to Wayland Wright, and finally to Alan Combs. She died in 1948 in Enosburg, Vermont, and is buried there.

I would like to find out when and where she and Carl were married, when and why she came to Vermont, and more about the Bonneau (aka Burnham) family. I plan to interview her last surviving child soon to hopefully have some of these questions answered.

(NOTE: Burial in the West Enosburg Cemetery; Enosuburg, Vermont).

No comments :